Fact: LaSalle's Men's Basketball Coach Ashley Howard is a PHILLY GUY through and through:
- Graduated from Monsignor Bonner where he still holds the single-game scoring record of 41 points (1999)
- Played at Drexel until suffering injury (2002) and became the team’s Student Assistant Coach
- Professional Coaching Career:
- La Salle, Asst Coach, 2004-2008
- Drexel, Asst Coach, 2008-2012
- Xavier, Asst Coach, 2012-2013
- Villanova, Asst Coach, 2013-2018
- TWO NCAA Championships (!)
And now the head coach at LaSalle, Ashley is quickly learning how busy the job is, "the last three months have been a whirlwind." His plan is to rebuild the program from the ground up and create a new renaissance for the school that is super passionate about the sport. Ashley is open about the connections he has made over the years, citing Philly as a "great college basketball town" and assuring everyone that "Coach Wright was very supportive of me taking the new job."
But exactly had how did it feel winning that first NCAA Championship? It was "epic." Look back at the replay, Jay was stoic after the buzzer beater, while Ashley completely lost his mind. "That's the Philly fanatic in me."
Wandering how he handled the second win? Listen to our interview with the new LaSall Head Coach:
Support the LaSalle Men's Basket Ball Team by registering now for the Friends of Bill Raftery ('63) Golf Outing
- June 18, 12:30 shotgun start
- North Hills Country Club
- All funds directly benefit the La Salle men's basketball team
And remember, less than six months to practice for the Camp Out for Hunger City 6 Pop-a-Shot Challenge.