The iconic cult classic This is Spinal Tap was released in theaters 37 years ago today (March 2.) It is easily one of the most quotable, funniest films of all time to the point where even the biggest rock stars can own up to its painfully true moments.
Obviously, the most popular line from the film is, “These go to 11,” but there are so many other golden nuggets in this brilliant mockumentary. In honor of the anniversary of the film’s theatrical release, here are 11 other quotes from This is Spinal Tap that aren’t “These go to 11!”
(Note: This list is numbered, not ranked. Ranking each line would be like asking us which Spinal Tap drummer was our favorite. It’s simply too hard of a question to answer.)
1. “You don’t do heavy metal in Dubly, you know.”
2. “I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.”
3. “Well, this piece is called ‘Lick My Love Pump.’”
4. “It’s such a fine line between stupid, and uh…clever”
5. “This miniature bread…”
6. “The review you had on ‘Shark Sandwich,’ which was merely a two-word review, just said ‘Sh-t sandwich.’”
7. “He was the patron saint of quality footwear.” – David St. Hubbins on the origin of his last name.
8. “We’re very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries, David and Nigel, they’re like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They’re two distinct types of visionaries, it’s like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water.”
9. “None more black”
10. “Well, so what? What’s wrong with bein’ sexy?” “Sex-IST!”
11. “Here lies David St. Hubbins…and why not”